HISTORY OF BISHOP MORROW SCHOOL.
Bishop Morrow School (BMS), Krishnagar, is a Catholic, Minority Institution recognized by the National Commission for Minority Educational Institutions, Government of India (vide F.No. 321 of 2006 – 1043 dated 09.08.2006) and Department of Education of the Government of West Bengal, and is affiliated to Council for the Indian School Certificate Examination, New Delhi, (School Code WB242) for the Indian Certificate of Secondary Education Examination (ICSE) and the Indian School Certification Examination (ISC).
BMS has its humble origin in Nogendangar, Krishnagar, in January 1959 as Mary Immaculate Montessori School, founded by Bishop Louis L.R. Morrow. With the fatherly guidance, care, frequent visits, and blessings of Bishop Morrow and the persistent effort of his congregation of the Sisters of Mary Immaculate, the school kept growing as an English Medium Primary School. On 8 August 1968, Bishop Morrow established, the Young Women’s Culture Centre (YWCC) at Bejikhali, Krishnagar, with a plan also for a new School at the site. In October 1968, the Mary Immaculate School at Nogendranagar was shifted to the new spacious building of YWCC, which offers opportunities both for parents and students to enhance their future.
On 15 November 1969, Bishop Morrow retired from Bishopric of Krishnagar after his splendid ministry to his beloved people for 30 long years. As a token of gratitude to the Bishop for his handsome contributions towards the welfare of the city and its people of all faiths, and to promote education and the uplift of women, girls and children, the YWCC was named Bishop Morrow Centre (BMC), at the request of the people, to perpetuate his revered memory. In 2002 it was renamed Bishop Morrow School.
On12thApril 2003, the new school building of Bishop Morrow High School was inaugurated. On 14th October 2003, it obtained the Non- objection certificate (NOC) from the Government of West Bengal, and on 27th March 2004 affiliation to the Council of New Delhi. In 2005 the first batch of students wrote the ICSE.
On 3rd July 2007 BMS obtained NOC for Higher secondary and on 13th May 2008 class XI was introduced with science stream, followed by class XII. On 02nd June 2008, the school received permanent affiliation and permission to introduce ISC in the School. In 2010 the first batch of students wrote the ISC.
Bishop Morrow School is one of the most prestigious schools in Krishnagar. It is under the Registered Society of the Kolkata Province of the Catechist Sisters of Mary Immaculate Help of Christians. It is a co-ed School with approximately 1,500 students of all faiths and strata of the society on its rolls.
The BMS draws its inspiration from Christ, who willed the total development of every person as a child of God, as also from Bishop Louis L.R. Morrow, its Founder, who loved children and respected the image and likeness of the divine in every human being.